© 2019 Fleurbaix B&B

Bookings

About Us

The Fleurbaix property first operated as a Bed & Breakfast in the 1930’s and whilst your cottage is a relatively new addition, the gardens we hope you will enjoy have been cultivated over decades. From the towering Himalayan Cedar & Liquid Amber trees to the variety of Camelias, Rhododendrons and Azaleas, our garden provides a tranquil and spectacular environment all year round. Please feel free to wander the lawn area and enjoy breakfast or a glass of wine on the deck to truly soak up this invigorating natural environment.

Sassafras - The Tourist Destination

 

Sassafras Gully (as it were first known) was settled as a town in the late 1800’s and promptly developed into a popular tourist destination (indeed, “Premier Holiday Resort”!) for Melburnians seeking the fresh air and natural attractions of the area.  In the early 1900’s some of Sassafras’ most recognised Guest Houses were established including Lorna Doone, Clovelly, Dewrang, Clarkmont, Kelway, Monreale and Hinckley.  A few still operate to this day but most were lost to fire as the decades passed by. 

 

In these early days, tourists would travel from Melbourne by train or coach to Upper Ferntree Gully were they would be “ferried” up the mountain by locals, Harry Tutt and Les Storrie (first by horse and cart, then by car).  In 1918, thirteen guesthouses were available in Sassafras making it one of the most popular destinations in the Dandenong Ranges.

Anzac Avenue

​

ANZAC Avenue of Honour at Ferny Creek (also known as Sassafras Avenue of Honour) extends along a section of the Mount Dandenong Tourist Road that was known as ANZAC Avenue and commemorates those who served in World War One.

“The idea for the avenue originated at a public farewell at Sassafras in July 1916. The trees (Chestnuts) were planted on both sides of the road in memory of the boys from Sassafras and Ferny Creek who enlisted in World War One. A short time after the trees were planted the Defence Department granted the use of the word "ANZAC ".
Letter to the Editor, The Argus. 23rd April 1918.